This hearty and smoky vegetarian chili is packed with protein from heart-healthy quinoa, black beans and kidney beans. You won't even miss the meat!
10 Roma tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1/2 butternut squash, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup dried quinoa
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut Roma tomatoes in half and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, cut-side down.
- Roast in oven until blistered on top, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat olive oil in large Dutch oven and add diced onion. Sweat the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper until translucent.
- Add the diced green and red peppers. Add jalapeño and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, chipotle peppers and spices. Sauté for a few minutes longer.
- When tomatoes are done roasting in the oven, remove and let cool.
- Add the 28 oz. can diced tomatoes and 2 cans beans.
- Add the corn.
- Once Roma tomatoes have cooled, peel the skin off and roughly chop the tomatoes. Add Roma tomatoes to pot.
- Bring ingredients to a boil then reduce to simmer for about 1 hour.
- After about an hour, add the dried quinoa to the pot.
- Cook on simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until the quinoa has cooked and has absorbed most of the chili liquid.
Serve hot topped with Greek yogurt, cilantro, cheddar cheese, scallions or sliced avocados.