Today is Friday the 13th, the unluckiest day on the calendar. On Friday the 13th, danger seems to be lurking around every corner. While some dangers are avoidable, others are simply bad luck. Whatever the reason is for all the seemingly bad luck today, many bad luck superstitions can also be considered health hazards. Here is a list of (lucky number) 7 common superstitions that can cause a real health threat.
1. It is considered bad luck to have a black cat cross your path. Depending on how closely the cat crosses your path, it could also present a tripping hazard. In a dimly lit area a black cat will be extremely hard to see, increasing the possibility of injury to you or the cat. Dander from the cats fur can also trigger an allergic reaction in some. If you suffer from pet allergies and would like some relief, the primary care doctors and Community Care Physicians can help.
2. If you break a mirror it's seven years of bad luck for you. According to legend, the only way to break the bad luck spell is by turning seven times in a clockwise circle. 999 out of 1000 doctors agree this would be a terrible idea with all those broken chards of mirror lying around. Spinning around in a circle seven times may make you dizzy which would dramatically increase the chances of falling on the bits of broken mirror. Not only would this not break the bad luck spell, it would likely be a quick way to send yourself to an Urgent Care Center.
3. Opening an umbrella indoors is also considered bad luck. If you find you need to open an umbrella because it is raining inside the building you are in, this is not rain, it is the sprinkler system going off. This would indicate the building you are in may be on fire, in which case the bad luck you may encounter from opening the umbrella would be the least of your worries. Should you find yourself in such a scenario, calmly make your way to the nearest exit and contact the fire department once you are a safe distance from the building.
4. It is also bad luck to walk under a ladder. While some would argue it's bad luck, others would consider this behavior gross negligence. Open ladders are usually an indicator that some kind of construction or routine maintenance is going on in the immediate vicinity of the ladder. Paint cans, tools, and other construction equipment could be atop the ladder and be at risk of falling due to the laws of gravity. Should one of these objects fall at the exact moment you are walking under the ladder you may quickly find yourself back at the Urgent Care Center. To avoid this scenario completely, simply observe the area surrounding the ladder and take a few extra moments to walk around the perimeter of the work area to avoid any potential hazards.
5. If you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, legend has it you will suffer bad luck all day. The wrong side of the bed, in this instance, is defined as any side of the bed other than the side on which you climbed into bed the night previous. The inability to remember which side of the bed you got in on could be an indication of sleep deprivation. There are a number of things that can lead to sleep deprivation such as a poor sleeping environment, poor sleep habits before going to bed, and poor diet. It could also be a symptom of an underlying sleep disorder such as sleep apnea. Talk to your doctor about healthy sleep habits or a referral to see a sleep specialist.
6. A single flickering eye is said to indicate something bad is about to happen to you. A flickering eye could also be an indication of sleep deprivation, dehydration, or signify an underlying neurological condition. If you suffer from an eye that flickers continuously, The Child Neurology group can help diagnose a number of different neurological disorders. Stay hydrated, get plenty of rest, or see your doctor if symptoms worsen to avoid any bad luck that could be caused by a flickering eye.
7. If you spill salt, you must throw it over your left shoulder to avoid bad luck. If you find yourself in this type of situation, always look over your left shoulder to make sure no one is standing there before throwing any salt. It would be bad luck for that person were any of the salt to get in their eye, especially if it was a flickering eye. If you happen to do driving when you spill salt, never take your hands off the wheel to throw the salt over your left shoulder. Using a salt shaker and eating while driving might also signify that you don't have very healthy eating habits. Luckily, the nutritionists at WeCare Medically Supervised Weight and Exercise Management can help!