The accuracy of your PET/CT scan depends on your body’s metabolic activity, which is controlled by the factors below. It is very important that you follow all of these instructions.
- Nothing to eat or drink (except water) after midnight. If you have an afternoon appointment, you will receive specific instructions regarding breakfast. Only water and medications may be taken within 8 hours of the scan.
- If you are diabetic you will receive specific instructions.
- Do not chew gum, Nicorette gum, candy (including mints), or cough drops for at least 6 hours before your scan.
- You may take any prescribed medications with water. If any of your medications must be taken with food ask your doctor whether you should take your morning dose without food or take it after the scan.
- Unless you are on fluid restrictions for other reasons, drink at least 64 ounces of fluids the day before your exam including two 8 ounce glasses of water the night before your scan. Continue drinking water the day of your exam to prevent dehydration.
- Do not perform any strenuous or vigorous activity (e.g. aerobics, jogging, golf, etc.) for at least 24 hours prior to the scan.
- Sedation is rarely needed; however, if you are claustrophobic or tend to be extremely nervous and fidgety, consult your doctor. Please advise the secretary if a relaxing medication has been prescribed so that we can determine the best time for you to take it. Arrange to have someone drive you to and from ImageCare Medical Imaging.